Sunday, May 5, 2013

SIMPLE TIP: Easy Oil Drain for Small Engines

I have several garden tractors, plus a tiller, a couple snowblowers, a lawnmower and a generator. 

I try to change the oil regularly--most small engines don't have oil filters, so the oil get's dirty quick.  Plus, on air-cooled engines the oil splashing througout the engine picks up heat and carries it to the pan where it can cool down some. I want them to last as long as possible, so I do the oil change thing on everything AT LEAST once a season, and more often if need be. 

Problem is, many garden tractors, tillers, etc. have low clearances or small spaces underneath and it's hard to get something to collect the oil as it drains...no, letting it run down the driveway is not an acceptable alternative!!

I finally hit on the idea while working on my Sears GT18--the one in I'm plowing with in previous posts.

I buy my oil in bulk, so I often have empty one gallon jugs available.  I normally use them to take the used oil to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's for recycling.

Most small engines only take 1 to 2 quarts of oil, so a one gallon (4 quart) jug is the perfect size.  Emptying a couple quarts into it still leaves enough space to help avoid splashing the oil out when you move it.



I took one of the jugs, and cut a square hole in the middle of it--try to round the corners if possible. I left the cap on--when you get to your collection barrel or jug, you can carefully remove the cap and pour the oil into it.

 I tried to avoid cutting all the way to the edge for a couple reasons:

1. The jug is stronger and won't twist in your hands if you leave about a 1" rim around the opening.

2. The oil tends to splash around when you have to move the jug.  Leaving the edges on causes the oil to roll back into the jug instead of down the outside and onto your hands or whatever it's sitting on.

I used the jug shown to drain the transmission from a Troy-bilt tiller that I was repairing.  Even with the limited height and the narrow distance between the wheels, it fit it like it was made for it.




I drained 3 quarts into the jug, and was still able to move it without spilling any...

This is helpful for draining other liquids as well, like brake fluid, power steeing fluid, etc. 

ONE CAUTION: Don't use old antifreeze jugs for anything but antifreeze.  Oil recycling centers will not accept oil that has antifreeze mixed into it. 

Also, Antifreeze is very poisonous, plus it has a sweet taste that draws animals.  They only need to drink a small amount to cause an excruciating death due to kidney failure...

Anyway, there's your tip...hope it's useful.

Until later,

Smitty

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS???