Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thoughts on Easter


Normally I post things on my blog related to the current political condition or jokes and stories.

However, as today is Easter, I feel to share something about this day, its significance to me and to many others throughout the world.



When I opened my web browser (Google), I expected to see something about Easter, a special day to billions of people that commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ.


Instead, I saw an image of Cesar Chavez, the American labor leader and civil rights activist, noting that it was the 86th anniversary of his birthday.



I thought how sad that there was no mention of Easter, let alone Christ.

I will add at this point that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--commonly called Mormons. The central focus and keystone of our beliefs is that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that he was born of Mary as described in Luke, and spent his life teaching, healing and serving others, and ultimately suffered in Gethsemane and died on the cross that we might live beyond death... in short He is our Savior.

One of his most significant teachings is often overlooked, if not downright ignored--even by those who profess a belief and love for Him. We read in Mark, Chapter 10:

"42 But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

 43 But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

 44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.
 45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a a ransom for many."



What a contrast!!! The leadership of Christ is to serve others, while our leaders today generally do it to gain honor, praise, glory and power.

I personally am deeply grateful for the service and sacrifice of the Savior.  I am thankful for His grace, wherein I have received blessings I did not earn. I know that it is only through the grace of Christ can anyone be saved after all that we can do.

I have also come to learn that it is not merely enough to believe in Christ, for, as James says,

"...the devils believe and tremble."

Coupled with this is the understanding that the way we manifest our faith in Christ and our love for Him is to serve others. Good men and women, individually and collectively, can do more to alleviate suffering, offer hope when despair reigns, and bring joy and peace to others than all of the government programs that have ever been or ever will be. 

Since I understand that charity is the pure love of Christ, I also know that charity begins in one's heart, not in the praise and adulation gained through contributing large sums of money to a cause.

I pray that we will all pause for a moment this day, and count our blessings.  I hope that we can appreciate our families, our lives, and the blessings of the very air we breathe as all being gifts from God. I hope that we can be a little kinder, a little more patient, a little closer to our Lord.

I leave my personal witness that I know that Christ lives!  I know that He continues to inspire men today as in days of old, and that all people of faith, regardless of their particular denomination, become Christians as we emulate the example of Christ in serving others. .

I leave this witness in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ...Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS???